Utility and Necessity of the project
The project is in line with the overall objective of the present call, "to increase the country's innovative capacity through the reinforcement of important RTDI infrastructures, their interconnection with the private sector, the provision of social challenges and their networking with corresponding infrastructures in the European and International Space ".
The project covers the modern requirements of fisheries management and management of the marine environment in general, as set out by the EU and reflected in the relevant framework directives and the European Regulations, according to which the modern approach is based on the holistic study of the ecosystem, which aspires to cover the upgraded R & D due to its expanded research capabilities.
The project is in line with the National Strategy for Research and Innovation for Smart Specialization (RIS3) 2014-2020, which is the effective, efficient and cooperative use of available resources to strengthen innovation, upgrading human resources, or the creation of competitive advantages in relevant sectors of the economy and the strengthening of existing research infrastructures of national importance. Specifically, the Project contributes to the:
- development of human resources and infrastructure in priority areas
- utilization of the intangible capital of the public RTD system in research results, international networking for the benefit of social development on competitive terms
- exploitation of the potential of young scientists as the most important investment of Greek society
- development of a mechanism for the collective processing and formulation of the ETA.C Strategy to stay up-to-date, intelligent and sustainable over time, developing and capitalizing on strategic competitive advantages based on investing in knowledge and innovation effort
The Project responds directly or indirectly to the following critical areas for RTD interventions:
- management and protection of water and aquatic environment
- mitigation and adaptation to climate change
- an ecosystem approach to sustainable development - environmental indicators / studies
- support and optimization of agricultural production
- integrated observation, monitoring and forecasting systems for the marine environment