RePHIL in a nutsell
The project "Hellenic Research Fleet - Reconstruction of the Research Vessel PHILIA is funded by the Operational Program (OP) "Competitiveness Entrepreneurship and Innovation" (NSRF) for the period 2014-2020 from the Regional Departments of Crete, Attiki and South Aegean, co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
The duration of the project is 54 months 01/01/2018 - 30/06/2022 and the total budget amounts to 3.133.006,38€
The project involves two partners, the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR) and the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) – Department of Marine Engineering. The project coordinator is Dr. Athanassios Machias, Research Director at the HCMR and professor Manolis Samouilidis, Scientific Director of NTUA.
The Research Vessel (R / V) PHILIA has a length of 26 meters and was constructed in 1986. Its reconstruction and modernization is of high priority as to expand its business activities and to meet the demands of contemporary fisheries and oceanographic research in relation to climate change and to the ecosystem based management approach.
The objective of the upgraded infrastructure is:
- ensure its security and functionality and offer improved facilities to researchers
- expand its research activities by contributing to research and innovation through the use of new advanced technological tools
- broaden its access and use by stakeholders through a series of actions including the communication and dissemination strategy
- contribute to the support of productive sectors of fisheries, fish farming and related businesses as well as tourism
- help in the exploitation of mineral resources by searching for undersea energy reserves through modern hydroacoustic equipment
- contribute directly or indirectly to the number of scientific publications in new scientific fields
- contribute to the realization of new doctoral theses and create jobs for young researchers
Dr Athanassios Machias
Research Coordinator – Research Director
Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR)
46,7 km Athens - Sounio ave., P.O. Box 712, P.C. 19013, Anavyssos, Attiki, Greece
+30 211 1065246